Blog 5

Turning 18 was a big thing in my family. Reason being now I could be a designated driver for them when they go drinking at the club or a party. This weekend was my sister 23rd birthday so I decided to drive up to Sterling, Virginia to surprise her. However, when I got there I was the one that was surprised. My sister told me that they planned on going to a nightclub called “Cuba Libre,” in Downtown D.C.

At first I was a bit excited because hell it was going to be my first time going to a club, but once I got there I realized it wasn’t what I had expected. My sister knows the club manager so she was able to get a V.I.P. section.

My sister’s blue mustang was packed we had 2 more people than the legal limit. There were seven of us in her car. I told her that if she wanted me to be the DD tonight I wanted shotgun that way I didn’t have to be squished in the back elbowing people for more space and tensing up, however since I am not 21 that threat was nothing so I was forced to sit in the back with her friends. I sat on the right side of the car with my sister’s best friend Isabelle was sitting on me with her legs extended to the other side of the car. At first this was a little uncomfortable, not because she was sitting on me, but because I was being squished in places that normally no guy wants to have any pressure applied to because it hurts. But after a while I squirmed into a more comfortable position and the rest of the ride was fun. Singing and dancing along to some house music driving 75 mph down I-495 we got to D.C. in 30 min.

Once at the club my sister and all her friends took shots out of the complementary bottle of Ciroc, it was like a scene out of the hangover. All I saw was them taking shot after shot after shot. After they were done drinking they started dancing. This is were I began to have some fun dancing Latin music; I danced salsa, merengue, bachata, and more typical Latin genres. We all danced until the club closed at 3:30. When we walked outside I realized none of them were in any position to drive home so it was good that I was the DD.  However, I didn’t have to drive all 7 of us home because 3 of my sisters friends had family in D.C. so they had a ride back to their families home.

It felt so good to be in the drivers seat and not cramped up in the back of the car. Before I began to drive I had to complete my ritual of fixing my mirrors, make sure the seat was adjusted, rolling my window down and connecting my phone to the stereo using the aux cord. As I began to drive I was a bit nervous because of the people in the car. Although they were passed out I was still worried because I had to stop the car sometimes so they could relieve them selves. I stopped at a 7-11 so they could do there business and then I began to drive once again. I was not comfortable driving them, I was a bit nervous, scared, and stiff while driving. Although once I got used to the car I turned the volume up and played one of my favorite songs, “1 train” by A$AP Rocky and felt as though nobody else was in the car with me. So I sped up a bit.. not too much over the speed limit but enough to get us home in 35 min. I dropped everybody off and then parked the car. By the time we finally got home it was 5:30 and I was exhausted. All I remember is taking my contacts off, putting on some shorts, and lying down on my bed hugging my pillow and drifting off.

The next day my sister thanked me for my DD status. When she thanked me I thought to myself “although it was a very interesting night I don’t know if I would want to be the Designated driver again if they are going to drink that much, but then again its better if I do that then one of them getting behind the wheel.” So I accepted her thank you and spent the rest of the day sleeping preparing myself for the trip back to my home in R-World were hopefully I won’t have to be the DD anytime soon.