WARNING: This ePortfolio is currently being used as a template. Published changes or deletions will affect new ePortfolios created from this template.

Week 1

In this first week I will describe how the class will work. We'll peruse the syllabus and I'll describe the assignments you'll be doing in this class and how I will grade. I'll also have you copy the course template in Digication and explain how you will

submit  assignments.

I also want you to get to know each other. You will be choosing teams and I want you to have some idea about with whom you might work. Your schedules and work ethic must be compatible and you need to talk to the folks in the class to see if they "fit". 

INQ Skills

We will discuss your past INQ courses and what skills you need to be able to use in this course. As a capstone, the course requires you to use the skills you have aquired from other INQ courses. We'll review what those skills might be.

Key Questions

We will also discuss some key questions associated with any research in Education. They are:

1. What is the purpose of education?
  2. What is the stated purpose of education in the U.S.? (who defines this?)
  3. Are educators succeeding in educating American children?
  4. How do you know if educators are succeeding?
  5. What metrics are used to evaluate educational success?
  6. Are these metrics valid?
  7. Who funds public education?
  8. Who should control education policies?
  9. How should education in America change to improve?
  10. What key issue should be addressed first

Finally, you'll pick teams. 

I'll describe what kind of sources you are looking for and turn you loose with your partners to begin finding them.