TESL-220: Teaching English as a Second Language

TESL-220 is a fabulous example of accommodating to the diverse needs of students in the classroom environment. If you are working with English Language Learners (ELL Students), it is important to both acknowledge their cultural backgrounds and address the issues they might be having in the classroom. Their individual learning needs will be higher than perhaps any other student in the room; and as a successful educator, you need to be able to address that.

In my lesson plan I talked about teaching soccer to a class with ELL students in it. I chose the topic of soccer because it is an internationally renowned sport and recognized by nearly every country on this Earth. Stemming off the idea that from this recognizable sport—regardless of cultural backgrounds, students will know a little bit about the game. While my only differenced in the actual lesson plan write up is the amount of instruction and time needed to process new information, I spent a great deal of time addressing introducing the game in my Instruction Resource Guide.

I discussed the issue that I need to accommodate to the needs of the students; so for the ELL students I spent time introducing the game and tried to relate it back to other cultures and backgrounds. I then explained that throughout the class period I would try to reiterate key vocabulary terms or phrases related to the game. This is a specific ELL student accommodation needed to allow for these students to pick up on English vocabulary and speech.

Instructional Resource Guide.pdf

Soccer Lesson Plan Front Page.pdf

Soccer Lesson Plan Grid.pdf