The Roanoke City School System is located in Roanoke, Virginia. Many of the schools are inner city schools that have students coming from very low socio-economic backgrounds as well as incredibly diverse backgrounds. The total student population is an estimated 13,600 students. About 2,000 of those students are Special Education students; and about 1,500 students are English Language Learners. The demographics of the student body show that an estimated 62% of the students come from diverse backgrounds; leaving only 38% of the student population to identify as Caucasian. Roanoke City Schools have a high school graduation rate of 87%.
I spent over 450+ hours as a Student Teacher within the Roanoke City School District.